Thursday 3 May 2012

5th Post Anniversary


I like celebrating, and I have nothing to celebrate my 5th Post Anniversary....
I need suggestions.


So, on this grand occasion I wanted to talk about something interesting - like memory. I didn't wake up this morning thinking of this, in fact, I'm writing this because I didn't wake up this morning thinking of this post. You see, last night I thought of something amazing for the post. I was so excited, as I slept, I forgot all about it. That, my friend, is why you're left with this.

So, a lot of people think that, like a computer, the brain picks up a memory, and views it. That is not true. Even though it is said that, in sleep, memory is transferred from temporary storage to permanent, this is probably true - yet it still isn't the computer you might think it is.

Memories, are in fact created from scratch. Every time. This means a 'Chinese Whispers' affect happens - it gets altered. Every time you remember something, there's probably something you subconsciously change, which means the more you think about something, the more chance it has of being non-existent in the sense that the happening never happened that way. This means the memories you never think about are actually the safest.
Isn't that crazy? It baffles me.

Another interesting memory fact - ever feel that you've forgotten something just because you've entered a particular room? There's a science behind that. You see, your brain holds so much information that it would be insane not to have some sort of filter. This means you'v got things you need at the front of the mind. Every time you go through a doorway, your brain notices that you're going somewhere new, so your brain clears out the filter to make space for new activities. This doesn't always happen, but it is most likely to happen when you have something definite you need to do.

So, after that, I hope your brain has been exercised. So, thank you. Goodbye until the 6th Post Anniversary (too much?). 

No comments:

Post a Comment